Dinner with a fabulous view

18.7.16

A Second Serving reviews Burlington's at The Beech Hill Hotel & Spa in Windermere, Cumbria...

Burlington's restaurant, which is part of the Beech Hill Hotel & Spa, is situated on the east shore of Lake Windermere and offers truly breathtaking views across the lake. As well as the main restaurant, there's an outside terrace you can have drinks on before and/or after your meal to really soak up the view. The menu consists of French and English cuisine and is sourced almost exclusively from local suppliers. They offer a choice of two, three or five course selections and we went for three at a very reasonably priced £34.95.

Check out that view!

Why go?

If you're after tasty food (and decent sized portions), with a superb view of Lake Windermere then this is the place to go. Service is attentive and friendly and your food will be served quick. They take your order in the main bar beforehand, so you're not left waiting long between courses. I started my meal with the shelled muscles mariniere, which came with garlic, herbs and Chardonnay-in baked tomato. I was expecting to get my hands dirty wrestling the muscles out of the shells, but I didn't need to as they came already prepared in a little silver pot. The flavour of the sauce was spot on and there was a lot of it so I could soak it all up with the crusty bread on the side. For my main I had the duck and this came with sweet potato and greens. It was well cooked but could have perhaps been a little better seasoned. The presentation of the food was however very good. My partner had the roast salmon main and he said this was very fresh. To finish, I went for one of my fave desserts, crème brulee, and this one came with a citrus shortcake. I have to say it was very good - it had a good crunch on top and was creamy and delicious underneath. Nom nom nom! My OH opted for the trio of desserts - a mini crème brulee, a strawberry posset and a dark chocolate mousse - all of which I sampled and all of which tasted bloody damn good!


Me tucking into my main!

Downsides?

While the views really are to die for (pretty much wherever you sit in the restaurant), the rest of the hotel seems a little dated and old fashioned. Perhaps, however, this is just down to personal taste.


Location?

The Beech Hill Hotel, Newby Bridge Road, Cumbria, LA23 3LR.

No comments:

Post a Comment